The blog has been quiet for several months, but the Whiskey Gents have been far from idle. As the winter weather approaches, the time has come to crack open a bottle from the season’s collection, pour a glass, pull up a chair, and start writing down where we’ve been.
The summer and early autumn months provided us with opportunities to share among friends and family a couple bottles of bourbon and whisky, such as:
- Colonel E.H. Taylor Small Batch Kentucky Straight Bourbon
- Edward & Mackie Craigellachie Speyside Single Malt Scotch (13 year)
- The Hakushu Single Malt Japanese Whisky (12 year)
- Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye (2016 Whisky of the Year, per Jim Murray, author of The Whisky Bible)
These and several other simple events punctuated the months leading up to what we’ve come to appreciate as whiskey season. Beginning in October every year, as the food truck and beer sampling events wind down, a flurry of whiskey tastings and similar events come blowing in to warm our hearts and sustain us through winter.
In addition, the Gents have happily welcomed some newcomers to the group who have been attending events with the originators of our club. Upcoming articles will cover these (as well as yet unplanned) WGOC events!
- Fox River Distillery tour
- Greenbar Craft Distillery tour
- Clyde May’s Alabama Style Whiskey
- Desserts and Drams at Drumbar
- River North Whiskey Festival
We look forward to sharing with our readers and members all the activities that allow us to partake in the learning and enjoyment of long established and brand new whiskeys / whiskies.
Several new articles will be posted in the next couple weeks. Follow us on twitter to be notified of each one!